The NJPPA clip contest is now a Quarterly Clip Contest. NJPPA members will be allowed to submit up to 15 entries per quarter. Still entries can be sent as attachments to this email address NJPPAPOY@gmail.com multimedia entries must be submitted as URLs in the body of the email. Each quarter we will award a $50 gift card prize to the Best of Show entry as selected by the judges. Please read the updated rules and instructions below.
1. News (All things news, spot and general)
2. Sports (All things sports, except sports portraits)
3. Feature (All things feature)
4. Portrait (All things portraits, including sports portraits and illustrations)
5. Multiple (Events and subjects depicted in more than one photo, including photo stories, essays, sequences or series. Single category entries may also be pulled from entries in this category.)
6. Multimedia (Multimedia can be video or audio slideshows, must be entered as a URL).
All entries must reach the clip chair by the 15th of the month following the end of the quarter.
First quarter submissions accepted 4/1-4/15
Second quarter submissions accepted 7/1-7/15
Third quarter submissions accepted 10/1-10/15
Fourth quarter submissions accepted 1/1-1/15
The contest is open to all members whose dues are paid for during the quarter of competition entered. New or renewal dues must be received by the treasurer during the contest period. The clip contest chair will not re-classify any image.
Interns or students may enter their clips if they were taken for a New Jersey news publication.
1. All submissions will be in digital jpeg form with dpi set to 250 and the longest image size dimension at 11 inches. All files should be in RGB format and saved at the Maximum setting.
2. Files should be named beginning with the Quarter (1, 2, 3, 4), category (use the appropriate abbreviation news, sports, feat, port, mult), first five letters of your last name and the number in that category using an underscore to separate each and add the appropriate extension.
1_News_Kurdz_01.jpg or 2_Sport_Trish_01.jpg
If you have only one submission in a single category the number is not necessary. For multiple picture entries include a letter after the number in the alphabetical order you want the pictures to be viewed (01a.jpg, 01b.jpg, 01c.jpg etc.)
3. Full caption information must be included in the IPTC caption field with no byline or credit appearing anywhere in the caption field. Photographer credit information should only appear in the Credit / Provider field. Place your email address in the Description / Writer field. Other IPTC fields can contain any or no other information as they will not be used for the contest. On multiple picture entries include a brief synopsis of the story in the caption field of the first photo.
4. Members must email their still photo entries as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org and multimedia entries as URLs in the email body of the email. Every email will be acknowledged by the contest chair with a reply. If the member has not received a confirmation of receipt by the end of the submission period they should email contest chair email@example.com to make sure the entries are included in that quarter.
5. Photos submitted to the monthly contest may now be published OR UNPUBLISHED. Unpublished photos must have been taken during the corresponding quarter of the contest or be part of a multiple category entry published or completed during that quarter. For single photos that have been published, the date the image was taken is now the determining factor as to what quarter they must be entered in, not the date they were published.
6. The maximum number of entries per photographer is 15 Submissions per quarter.
Entry Format, Multimedia
1. All content in each multimedia submission must have been created, completed or published on the web during the corresponding quarter.
2. All multimedia submissions must be sent as a working URL. Please paste the URL in the body of your email to NJPPAPOY@GMAIL.COM. If your project is not hosted anywhere online please upload to Youtube or Vimeo and share the URL they provide.
3. Still images contained in a multimedia category may be entered in a single or multiple still category so long as they conform to the standard rules for still entries and have not been entered as a still image in a previous monthly contest.
4. Multimedia entries may contain credit and organization information.
5. Multimedia entries will count toward your monthly total of 15.
6. Points for multimedia entries will be awarded in the same manner as still entries.
7. TEAM ENTRIES MAY NOW BE ENTERED IN THE CLIP CONTEST. However, total points given to a team member will be half of the normal for that place.(Example-Those working on a first place winner will receive 25 points instead of 50 points.)
Except in the Multimedia category, ENTRIES MUST BE THE WORK OF A SINGLE PHOTOGRAPHER.
Best of Show Quarterly Prize
Each quarter the judges will select a Best of Show from a pool of all of the winning images. A prize of $50 in the form of a Gift Card will be awarded to the member who entered the winning entry.
NJPPA Point System
Each photographer entering the contest receives two points per month entered. First place receives 50 points; second place receives 40 points and third place 30 points. 15 points for honorable mentions will be awarded.
New Jersey Clip Contest Photographer of the Year
The photographer who accumulates the most points during the calendar year will be named New Jersey Clip Contest Photographer of the Year, provided the photographer has shown versatility by winning in at least two of the six contest categories during the year. In case of a tie, both photographers will share the title.
In case of a year-end tie top 10 scores, the rank(s) beneath the tie will be skipped for the next award. For example, a two-way tie for top place leaves third place for the next highest photographer.
It is understood that any copyright of an entry remains the property of the photographer or employer of the photographer.
However, all participants agree that by entering the contest, entrants give permission to NJPPA for its publications to reproduce winning entries, either through hard copy or electronically, including and not limited to, regional publications, In Focus magazine, commercial online services and NJPPA presences on the internet. Reasonable precautions will be taken to ensure the security of electronic reproduction.